It’s been a while since I’ve blogged, but I haven’t been idle. I’ve been working on some big projects that have consumed all my available time.
One project has been to upgrade my website. Last weekend I switched on a new, and very much simpler site framework. The new framework fully support mobile devices, so hopefully the experience of visitors browsing on tablets and phones has very much improved.
When I think back to my first big website project, in about 2005 or thereabouts, I’m amazed by how things have changed. Back then it required a huge amount of work to produce quite basic content. And integrating with a database was a major achievement! Nowadays, with only a little bit of technical knowledge it’s possible to download, install and configure incredibly rich and flexible software that makes everything so much easier. I’d like to give a big thank you to everyone who makes the open source software that makes our modern web such a great place.
This evening I switched on SSL for end-to-end encryption and privacy. This means that not even your internet service provider can see which pages you’re visiting. This is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time, so I’m pleased to have completed it. All pages should now show the padlock symbol in your browser address bar to show that the page is encrypted.